Phone: 021 230 2391 | Email:


What is the difference between SST and SSGT

As mentioned throughout this site, Sensible Sentencing encompasses two very distinct trusts and purposes:

SENSIBLE SENTENCING TRUST (SST) | Advocates On Behalf Of The Victims.

The Sensible Sentencing Trust (SST) is not a registered charitable trust because this trust unashamedly exists to advocate on behalf of the victims of serious violent and/or sexual crime and homicide in New Zealand, with a view to ensuring effective sentencing and penal policies that reduce reoffending and ultimately keep the public safe.All donations received by this trust assist our volunteers to travel to meet with politicians about the SST’s policy wishlist (such as bail and parole reform, Three Strikes and public Offender Databases), attend select committee sessions, educate our membership database regarding SST policies and activities, and run lobbying campaigns such as Christie’s Law.


The Sensible Sentencing Group Trust (SSGT) has donee status with the IRD which means donors are eligible for donation tax relief. If you make a donation to the SSGT (for the specific purpose of supporting victims of serious violent and/or sexual crime and homicide) you may be able to claim part of it back as a tax credit. We serve to educate the public as to the plight of these victims and to ensure such victims and their families are fully aware of their rights and entitlements, providing both education and practical support during their time of trauma.All charitable donations received by this trust are tax deductible and fund our volunteers to assist with such things as educating these victims regarding their rights and entitlements, emotional and practical support during pre-trial court hearings, criminal justice trials, parole board hearings, and an annual homicide victims conference.

How do I join SST or SSGT?

Contact us via +64 6 8355521 or join up here

How do I donate to SST or SSGT?

More information can be found here

How are SST and SSGT funded?

Both trusts are funded solely through public donations and are ‘staffed’ by volunteers. You can help us continue our work by donating to either trust here

Why is an offender that I know of not on your database/s?

There are two likely reasons for this.  The first is that they were granted name suppression.  This is common in sexual abuse cases where identifying the offender will identify the victim (eg: in a case where it is reported that a Man has abused his 8yr old daughter, once convicted his name will continue to be suppressed to protect her identity)  See more about SST’s name suppression policy here

Secondly if the offender you know is not on your database it may be that we have not been supplied the information as yet. If so you can help us by completing the form here

How do I update information about an offender on your database?

To update us about an offender in our database, please click here

How do I make a complaint about a lenient sentence that I have heard about in the media?

We encourage all members of the public to write to your MP’s,  The Minister of Justice and the Solicitor General should you become aware of law and order issues (including specific sentences) that you believe are not consistent with current public opinion and expectation.

The list of current MP’s is here:

For cases where you believe a sentence is manifestly inadequate you can write to the Solicitor General to request that the Crown appeal the sentence.  A copy of a previous letters from SST – exampleONE or exampleTWO.  Anyone can write to Crown Law and share their concerns; you simply email the Solicitor Generals Assistant:

Can SST help me with issues that I am experiencing in the family court?

Sadly no sorry.  Due to the overwhelming workload that we experience helping victims of serious violent and/or sexual crime and homicide we are unable to assist due to a lack of resource.

How do I volunteer some time or products / supplies to SST or SSGT?

More information can be found here