In the last two months there have been two horrific cases where both offenders have been found guilty of rape. Both cases have been treated as if the violent act of rape meant absolutely nothing to the Judge and our Justice System. The poor innocent victims of these violent life-altering crimes have been disrespected and re-victimised all over again!! The most recent case got a 50% discount off his sentence because of his age! The other offender was protected by the courts due to his ability as a ‘potential international sportsman’. What about the victims and their rights? What about honouring their futures?
Both offenders are said to have supportive family, so where were those families while these youth were out getting their victims intoxicated and then raping them?! Where were these families when their precious children were destroying the life of an innocent young Victim?!
Can we continue to accept Home Detention as a sentence for Rape?
When did such an horrendous u-turn occur within our Justice System so as to allow the rape of innocent victims to no longer be treated as the serious violent crime it is, so the victim sees no justice at all for the horrendous offence committed against them and there are little to no consequences for the offenders horrific crimes?
Home detention is not an acceptable sentence for a serious violent charge such as Rape!
What happened to the Offender:
- He received a 50% discount simply for his age
- A further discount for his early guilty plea and personal circumstances including previous good character and unblemished record, family support and willingness to engage in rehabilitation.
- A pre-sentence report was “not wholly positive” and stated that the youth’s offending “reflects a lack of insight, age, a high sense of entitlement and excessive use of alcohol”.
- There was no mention of remorse or apology in Judge Sinclair’s sentencing notes.
- A cultural report gave further insight into the teenager’s background and personality. How a ‘tragic event’ several years ago had impacted on his life.
- Three innocent victims get a life sentence – the Rapist gets Home Detention.
All Andrew Little’s reforms have produced are more rights for offenders. Kelvin Davis has managed to quickly push through reforms that give offenders more rights in prison, yet not one of the recommendations to better the rights of Victims has been treated with any urgency!